When I think of the holiday's, I don't think of gifts, office parties, or Santa Claus. I think of family, traditions, comfort foods, and just enjoying those around you. I think of music playing Christmas tunes in the background, as big meals are prepped. Christmas Spirits being poured as laugher and good times fills the room around. In my opinion, some forget that this time of year is the perfect time to reflect on all the blessings that surround us. On a rare frosty Saturday morning, when there was no where I "had" to be, the house was quiet (expect for the rhythmic snoring in the bedroom)... even Duke was passed out on the couch.... I decided to fire up the oven, and play alittle. So, with the music channel on quietly... I began to create sweet cinnamon smells in hope of waking up Mr. Sleepy Head....
|Ooey Gooey Cinnamon Buns|
Ooey Gooey Cinnamon Buns
- 3/4 cup milk
- 1/4 cup butter
- 3 1/4 cup all purpose flour
- 1 package instant yeast
- 1/4 cup white sugar
- pinch of salt
- 1/4 cup water
- 1 egg
- 1 cup brown sugar
- 1 tablespoon ground cinnamon
- 1/2 cup butter, softened (but not melted)
Optional: mix icing sugar and a couple tablespoons of milk (to desired thickness) to create a light and sweet icing
- Heat milk in sauces pan until it bubbles (stirring gently to ensure it doesn't scold on the bottom)
- Remove from heat, and stir in the 1/4 cup butter, keep stirring until it melts. let cool until lukewarm
- Using a stand mixer, combine 2 1/4 cup flour, yeast, sugar and salt; mix well.
- Add water, egg and the milk mixture; mix well. Add the remaining flour, 1/2 cup at a time, mix well after each addition.
-When the dough has just pulled together, use your dough hook to knead it until a dough ball forms on the hook, and the sides of the bowl are clean.
- Turn it out onto a lightly floured surface and knead until smooth, about 2 minutes. (if dough is still really sticky, add about a 1/4 cup flour and knead in - your hands should be "clean of dough")
- Cover the dough with lightly oiled (I used cooking spray) plastic wrap, and let rest 10 minutes.
- Meanwhile, in a small bowl, mix together brown sugar, cinnamon, softened margarine.
- Roll out rested dough into a 12x9 inch - "ish" rectangle.
- Spread dough with butter/sugar mixture using the back of a spoon or spatula, to about 1/2 inch from edges of dough
|mmmm brown sugar, butter,cinnamon...|
- Roll up dough and pinch seam to seal. Cut into 12 equal size rolls and place cut side up in 12 lightly greased muffin cups.
- Cover lightly and let rise until doubled in a draft free place, about 30 minutes.
- Preheat oven to 375 F
- Bake in the preheated oven for 20 minutes, or until browned. (place a foil covered baking sheet under pan to catch any drips.
- Remove from muffin cups to cool.
- Optional: mix icing sugar and a couple tablespoons of milk (to desired thickness) to create a light icing, and drizzle over slightly cooled cinnamon buns....
Enjoy!! These are good for a few days(if they last that long), make sure to keep em' covered, and a quick zap in the microwave will have them back to ooey and gooey in seconds!