Saturday, February 18, 2012

Garlic & Herb Homemade Pizza Crust & that special "Mushy Day"...

SO, most "bloggers" I know, did a big write up in anticipation for Valentine's Day - showcasing all the yummy desserts that are often associated with that mushy day.  Me -not so much.  Oh don't get me wrong, my intention was there.  I had the best of intentions to bake up some creative sweet treat for my honey.... but... time just wasn't on my side... heck, I even was "kicked out" of my kitchen....without really even knowing what was going on... while HE took over the kitchen, and the results... definitely "sweet", cute..adorable...and not to shabby tasting!  BUT before I was allowed to see why I was told to "drive home slowly", I thought I'd share what made this year's "mushy day" special.  You see, we decided we didn't need to go to a fancy restaurant, spend inflated dinner prices to enjoy each other's company... nope, we decided we were going to play a little in our own kitchen...  and this was the result:
Garlic Herb Pizza Dough
How can you go wrong with Homemade Pizza?! Also... since I've been playing with dough..bread..etc... why not make a homemade crust.  The pizza itself, we added whatever deli meat / cheese, whatever we had (minus the kitchen sink) haha...  ham, pepperoni, peppers, mushroom, capocolla, chorizo, feta, monteray jack and cheddar cheese, used a simple marinara pasta sauce (seasoned with garlic, salt, pepper to taste), and voila!  Homemade YUMMY Pizza.  But of course, it all starts with the pizza dough, this one... is fast and easy... and most important, pretty darn good :)

Garlic & Herb Pizza Dough

  • 1 tablespoon olive oil
  • 2/3 Cup lukewarm water
  • 1/4 teaspoon salt
  • 1 teaspoon active yeast
  • 1 tablespoon fresh chopped garlic cloves
  • 1 tablespoon each fresh oregano, parsley, basil - chopped (if using dried herbs, cut amounts in half)
  • 1 teaspoon onion powder
  • 2 cups all purpose flour
- Dissolve yeast in lukewarm water. (let site for 10 mins)
- Place flour in bowl of mixer. Add dissolved yeast, oil, water, salt, garlic, oregano, parsley, basil, onion powder.
- Using dough hook, mix well at medium-low speed until all ingredients are incorporated and a dough ball forms around dough hook.
- Knead for a few more minutes (on a lightly floured surface) until it is smooth.
- Lightly oil ball and place in a large bowl, cover, and let rise in a warm, draft free area for 1 hour
- Spread the dough on a large, greased pizza pan (or a cookie sheet works too)
- Spread pizza sauce onto dough, spreading out to about 1/2 inch inside of the edges.
- Add desired toppings...be creative!

- Bake in a pre-heated oven for 22 mins @ 400F
- Remove from oven and let sit for 5-10 mins, cut pizza into desired slices and enjoy!
And now.... the reason I wasn't allowed in the kitchen... (or even in the house for a few extra hours after work on the 14th...) ....
OK ... you can say it...  "awwww"  I was totally surprised, and impressed!!  It has to be one of the sweetest things anyone has done for me.  ..... he even made it a layered cake.  *bless* 
I am one lucky girl to have someone in my life willing to put in that extra special effort.. just for me.  XOR.....
Cheers!

No comments:

Post a Comment