How can you go wrong?!
Gluten Free Lemon Meringue Bites
- 1 prepared batter of Gluten free Cake Mix (I used the GF- Betty Crocker golden cake mix)
- prepare cake batter exactly how it's recommended on back of box
- mini cupcake liners
- 2 eggs
- 2 egg yolks
- 1/2 cup sugar
- 2 tsp lemon zest
- 5 tablespoons freshly squeezed lemon juice
- 1/3 cup pasteurized egg whites
- 1/2 cup granulated sugar
OK, some of you may wonder why I didn't post "how to" make the GF cake batter. Well, that's because, each mix tends to request/use slightly different ingredients and such, so please use your favorite Gluten Free Cake Mix, follow their directions on their box and then continue on with this recipe.... (this is the one I used....)
To Prepare the Lemon Filling:
- In medium heat proof bowl, set over a saucepan of simmering water, whisk together eggs, egg yolks, sugar, lemon zest and lemon juice.
- Stir constantly until a space remains after spoon is drawn through it. About 8- 10 mins.
- Cover with plastic wrap, making sure wrap is directly on the surface of the lemon curd to avoid a skin forming. Place in the fridge to cool.
- Preheat oven to 350F
- Bake in 350F oven until golden, and toothpick inserted comes out clean, (about 8-10 mins)
- Remove from oven, and let cool on rack. (fill more cupcake liners if batter remaining and repeat cooking process!)
- Fill each cake with a spoonful of prepared lemon curd
- Set filled cakes in fridge to continue to cool
To Prepare the Meringue:
- Using your stand mixer with the whisk attachment, beat egg whites until soft peaks form
- Gradually add in sugar and continue to beat until stiff peaks form
- Using a pastry bag fitted with plain tip (or zip lock bag with corner snipped), pipe meringue on top of each filled cupcake, make sure meringue covers top of lemon filling completely.
- Using your kitchen torch (loooove this thing!) *carefully* toast the tops of the meringue until golden. If you don't have a torch, place on cookie sheet, and toast under oven's broiler on high. KEEP AND EYE ON THEM, they toast QUICK!
You can now enjoy these lil' mouthfuls of pure lemony bliss! (or make ahead and store in an airtight container for up to 24 hours) No need to thank! I'll be enjoying some more too! haha
Ok folks, until next time.... hmmm... next time... sweet or savory, savory or sweet..... wonder where my cravings will take me next!