Tuesday, May 29, 2012

Jalapeno Popper Dip with a trip to Whistler, BC

I have to admit... this past weekend...I didn't spend much time in the kitchen.  In fact, I even shared my Pizza on the BBQ recipe (meaning what cooking I did...was outside on the patio...), as we had some good friends and their kids over- It worked out perfectly!  Dinner was described as a Pizza Buffet, my "sous chef's" were the kids helping top the pizza's, highly recommend this for a fun patio party.  (pretty sure my household is now officially addicted to homemade pizza...oops!)  SO - for this short post, I thought I'd do a quick-n-easy, got a bit of a kick... appetizer that is perfect to make on the go: Jalapeno Popper Dip.   If you read my last post...I asked everyone to take a moment or two and go outside- WELL...I actually took my own advice, and enjoyed "the outdoors" over this past weekend. We live in such a beautiful place, it always amazes me that many do not take advantage of what's just around the corner.. up the street...or even a short day trip away.  Being that I was lucky enough to have been given the opportunity to visit Nita Lake Lodge, AND the sun was shining, we packed up the car...Duke Dog included...and off we went - why not right!?  


The drive up the Sea to Sky Highway is breathtaking to say the least.  Views of the Howe Sound, and mountain ranges are for sure a sight to see.  When we pulled up to the Lodge, right away I was impressed with the look and feel.  The warm welcome, let alone the gorgeous surroundings, (minutes from Whistler Village), and the food! Heaven!

Nita Lake Lodge & Creekside Village - Whistler, BC
With only a *hint* of snow left in the lower areas of the ski hills, we were able to let Duke off leash for a little bit (I know I know..ssshhh, so we let him off-leash in a public area...don't tell OK?! haha) - and besides... could you really say NO to this guy:

Ya - didn't think so, and after the couple hour drive, he deserved a good stretch of the legs as well!  One thing that is fantastic about Whistler, BC - it is SUPER Dog Friendly.  I was impressed.  He's been with us twice now, and both times... he's been treated like a king!  At Nita Lake Lodge, he was even given homemade cookies!  The food at the hotel is amazing - at what I would consider a reasonable price, something pretty rare in a "touristy" area.

food...patio...to die for at Nita Lake Lodge! YUM!
Of course, the potential for wildlife viewing in Whistler can pretty much be guaranteed.  Even on the trip into Whistler we had the pleasure of watching a momma bear and her 2 cubs eating alongside of the road.  On our way home from Whistler, we decided to take "the long way" home, and were treated to even more wildlife, plus phenomenal views.
 Our pit stop... was at a beautiful (albeit a little windy) Lake... water was literally a turquoise green colour!

Seton Lake
That is definitely one drive I'd like to do again some time.. so pretty! I also want to say THANK you to the lodge, as the trip wouldn't of been the same without our stop there.  The hotel, the food, just the over all experience was fantastic.  It's good sometimes to spend  time with just the person (and dog) you love...what better place to do it than in here.  Guess we should probably get back to the whole Jalapeno Popper Dip... this is one appetizer you could make ahead, store it in an airtight container in a cooler, and bring out whenever you need a quick snack.  Even better warmed in in the oven or microwave...served with Tortilla Chips!
Jalapeno Popper Dip
  • 1 container of Herb & Garlic Cream Cheese
  • 1/2 cup shredded cheddar cheese
  • 2-3 chopped fresh jalapenos
  • 1/2 cup Panko Bread Crumbs
- Mix Herb and Garlic Cream cheese with shredded cheese and chopped jalapenos
- Place in a heat proof bowl, sprinkle Panko crumbs onto a top layer
- Let sit for hour to allow flavours to blend

This dip is good served cold, however, best served warmed in oven @350F until bubbly (10-15min) or warmed in microwave, few minutes at a time, stirring when needed.



Cheers!


No comments:

Post a Comment